Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baby Bunny Treats: Not for humans!

----------------------------------
Charcoal, my baby bunny.

It's been 3 days since my last post; to me that's already unnerving. I've been cooking during those days, but have not documented them as detailed as I would want since I've been getting my hands full with a little critter.

I bought Charcoal 3 days ago from a pet store; the first night I went into a panic mode because he didn't touch his rabbit pellets and he doesn't drink out of the water bowl. The first two days I had to feed him water through a Q-tip and feed him with minced pieces of carrots since that's all he want to eat. I've read that it was not good for the rabbit to eat carrots all the time as it contains mostly sugar and starch which will lead to gastric problems and obesity, so I have to find a way to feed him pellets and other vegetables. Oh, we don't have timothy hay since rabbits aren't really common pets here in the Philippines, we're more of a dog country. And no, I am not going to use him as meat, fur or breeding. He's a pet!

So I was researching on how to incorporate pellets and other vegetables into his diet. I read an article on making homemade bunny treats but it's mainly composed of fruits and will just be used sparingly. I tweaked it to suit my intention of letting him eat vegetables and pellets at the same time; I came up with a cookie crumble mix that he loved and enjoyed eating without me worrying about his tummy problems.


BUNNY TREATS


INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup pellets
2 tbsp finely minced carrots
1/2 cup wom bok (or other allowed green leafy vegetable) minced
2 tsp basil leaves minced
2 tsp rosemary minced
2 tbsp rolled oats
water

PROCEDURE
*Preheat oven to 250F and line cookie sheet.
1. Process everything in a grinder or a food processor until mealy. Slowly add water until coming together like a dough.
2. Flatten onto the lined cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until dry. Let cool and cut into bars or crumble into small pieces.

I made test batches with this, adjusting the amounts of herbs to what he liked. It smelled like a spicy-herby organic snack we humans eat; but of course, do not eat these! These are for your rabbits! 

Charcoal became lively after I fed him these, and his poop looked normal. He liked the basil and rosemary very much. I guess I satisfied his gustatory wants and needs at the same time. So, what herbs does your bunny like? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment